7 Tips to Take the Stress out of Family Photo Day
When it comes to family photo day, a lot of stress is typically associated with days leading up to the session. We’re here to help you relax and be prepared all at the same time. Here are some tips to ensure you get the best out of your family photos:
- Find the outfits you want everyone to wear a couple of weeks in advance and set them aside. Then try them on a week before your family photos to ensure everything still fits comfortably and that you didn’t miss any stains or holes that you couldn’t see until they were being worn.
- As soon as your family changes out of their photo attire, make sure it is clean and pressed to be ready for the big day. Set the clothes together (sorted by person) and place them somewhere free from harm and dirt. Be sure to tell everyone that these are photo clothes and not to be worn until family photo day. This will help to be sure that no articles of clothing go missing. Don’t forget about shoes, jewelry, belts, and other accessories.
- About three to four days prior to the session, start talking with your husband and children about the session and what will happen, making sure to set expectations. If you plan to use a bribe, now is a good time to set that in place. Continue to talk to your children daily to prepare them for the session.
- Two days prior to the session, pack a bag of everything you will need for the family photos – snacks, props, bribery, etc. and put it somewhere you can grab it and go. Be sure to include wipes in case things get messy, an extra hairbrush, and other “emergency” items, such as bobby pins and a backup lipstick.
5. On family photo day, make sure everyone has eaten so that they will be more comfortable during the session. Do not get your family dressed in their photo clothes until after they have eaten and brushed their teeth. This will prevent spills and other messy accidents.
6. It is a good idea to get your young children to wear a bib or drop cloth if they drink anything on the way to the session to save their shirts from wet spots or stains.
7. Once you get to the session, try to relax. If you have set a bribe, please let me know so I can use that throughout the session if the children get restless. Trust your photographer. We have been doing this for a long time and have our own little tricks to capture beautiful family photos.