How to prepare for a successful newborn photography session
You’re in a new and exciting time in your life. You’ve now got this adorable, precious little soul and are ready to document his or her first memories in a newborn photography session. We at Magenta Photography want to make this a joyous experience for you and your family. We know how nerve-racking photo day is especially when you’re running on little to no sleep. To help you out with this process, we’ve compiled a list of preparation tips to ease some of your stress. If you have any questions at all, feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
What to Bring
- A change of clothes. You may want to have a newborn photography session using a variety of different outfits.
- Extra nappies – suggestion of at least 3.
- Wipes, plenty of wipes. I’ve had many a newborn photography session with naked babies pooing all over their parents….luckily the wipes came to the rescue.
- Extra feed. If you are breastfeeding then you are set but if you are bottle feeding (or doing a combination of bottle and breast) then bring 2 extra feeds.
- A pacifier if they use one – this could be a dummy or a toy they like to cling to.
- A couple of different tops for yourself, especially if you will be in some of the photos. We can discuss the best colours and types of clothing for your newborn photography session before the day. (see more information below)
- Sentimental items that you would like incorporated into the newborn photography session eg. Blankets, ultrasound photos, booties, hand-me-downs
- Blankets/wraps to swaddle your baby in
What to Wear
Newborns are not very patient when it comes to outfit changes. We suggest having your child in an outfit you’d like for them to wear in the photos before you get to the session. Cover the outfit with a bib to keep the clothes clean. After we take a few photos in this outfit, we prefer to take the rest of the photos in just the diaper (with a wrap covering it)or completely in the nude. In our opinion, newborn photography sessions run best this way and your child will also cooperate longer if we are not constantly changing their outfits. If you are not comfortable with this, we can stick with one to two outfits for the newborn photography session.
If you are going to be in photos with your child, we suggest bringing a backup shirt, just in case. We also suggest that you wear a black shirt in case we need to photograph parts of you with your child on the backdrop (for example, just your hands holding the baby) so you don’t stand out. For mums, we suggest keeping jewelry to a minimum, as babies like to grab hold of these items.