What Should My Wedding Photography Budget Be?
Photography prices vary drastically. Price is not always an indicator as to the experience of a wedding photographer or their quality of work. I have seen some wedding photographers charge under $500 for the same amount of work as another photographer will charge $7000.
So how do you know who to choose? These tips will help you decide what is important to get exactly what you want so you don’t end up disappointed with the end result.
- Find a wedding photographer you feel comfortable with. You are going to be spending a big part of your day with them and they are the ones capturing this one special day in your life. At the end of the day the photos are all you will have left.
- Find a style of wedding photography you like
- Ask questions to get a feel for the wedding photographer and to understand exactly how the day will be captured
- Look at their wedding photography packages – do they include items you want or do they have more of an a-la-carte style where you can choose your own inclusions and get exactly what you want.
- Find a wedding photographer that has experience! At least 3 years to ensure they have worked in a lot of weddings and understand the importance and know exactly what wedding photos to capture.
Click here to reserve your own FREE consultation.
Weddings can be very expensive, after all understandably you want it to be perfect. So you have a wedding budget you want to stick to. How are you going to divide it up? A big chunk of this will be of course the reception. Your next biggest expense should be your photographer. Don’t cut corners and ask your friend to photograph your wedding.
Can you relive this day? Can you go back and take photos in places you want? The definitive answer is NO! This is ONE day of your life. You won’t be able to experience again. This means it is vital that you choose a photographer with experience, that you are comfortable with and that captures photos in a style that you LOVE! An experienced wedding photographer will be able to work with the weather, drunken guests, split families that hate being next to each other, people that don’t like photos, changing light from inside to outside……and the list goes on. You are paying for a professional that can handle change in an instant.
You want to be able to show off your photos to family and friends and feel proud. You want to be able to hang them on your wall as a beautiful memory of your amazing day!
So to answer the question what should my wedding budget be for photography……it should be a big chunk of it! You will be getting priceless memories that can never be relived. Memories fade…..but photographs last a lifetime!
P.S. It is also worth spending the extra money on a wedding album (between $500-$5000). Although most wedding photographers offer digitals, will you get them printed? Will they sit in your draw? Will you print them on professional paper so they look immaculate? Most probably not. The wedding album is a family heirloom that can be handed down to generations. Quality is highly important. Although you can get a cheap album on Snapfish, do you think it will really last for generations? You may by cheap now but in the long run it will cost you more having to reprint it. Quality is highly important to display these priceless memories for many, many years.